Parsix 4 ideas

General discussion forum for Parsix GNU/Linux in English.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

Re: Parsix 4 ideas

Postby mandog » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:06 am

parsix 4 needs to be Gnome shell with the correct extensions installed and Gnome tweak to make it easier for people to adapt to Gnome3 people forget fallback mode stock gnome with GTK3.
I have used gnome Shell since it was released in Arch LInux forget all the crap you hear from the sheep its the most usable interface out there and the cleanest. But you have to change the way you think. I have multiple desktops usually 8 with multible apps on each, can scroll them with the mouse wheel no bottom panel, notifications in the top panel transparent gnome dock on the left. a proper menu, alt tab, removed dash, added shutdown, etc and it works well. Another myth is ram 135mb on my 32bt widescreen laptop. Cinnamon is only gnome shell with a few extensions added don't give credit to other devs lets do our own?
Parsix running AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, Gigabyte mother board 8gb ram, Nvidia graphic card 1gb unboard ram, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, 2x 500gb hds, sata+3x 500gb, 1x2tb Hardrives, 23" AOC monitor 1980X1080 Resolution
mandog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby AmiNimA » Tue May 08, 2012 8:50 pm

alan wrote:Give me another week or so and I will release a technology preview edition so you guys can play with it. :-D

Alan, where is this preview eddition? it's been a long time...

+ maybe deBumblebee should be installed by default in parsix4. since many laptops are using nvidia ION cards, bumblebee can handle such devices very well.

+ parsix4 must be different, to make people download the ISOs and test it. parsix must be in the top rating distroes in distrowatch. let's make it popular... :)
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby alan » Wed May 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Just to give you guys a heads up, I was working on a more streamlined build server script to re-build some of the packages in a faster way. It is pretty much ready now and since two days ago I started compiling GNOME 3.4. Also, there was a problem with the live system environment regarding /run migration and that issue is also resolved now. I'm really trying to release the 4.0-preview as soon as it is possible...
alan
Developer
Developer

Postby AmiNimA » Wed May 09, 2012 5:37 pm

very good news...
I really appreciate your work.
now days I'm testing different distroes. I've tested LinuxMint, LMDE, Slitaz, and I'm downloading chakra right now.
I should say that Gnome3 in linuxMint, or Cinnamon in LMDE cannot be functional desktops.
I use Compiz which is not supported in Gnome3 anymore. :( Maybe it's because of that I am addicted (!) to Gnome2 :lol:
so I choosed MATE in LMDE. I must say that MATE is an unsuccessful effort. It's buggy and definitely cannot be a choice for parsix4.
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby AmiNimA » Wed May 09, 2012 6:25 pm

how about having a new software center? instead of synaptic. or beside synaptic.
visit http://www.acsyndicate.net/installing-deepin-software-center-in-linux-debian-based-distros/
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby jerry525 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:43 pm

AmiNimA wrote:very good news...
I really appreciate your work.
now days I'm testing different distroes. I've tested LinuxMint, LMDE, Slitaz, and I'm downloading chakra right now.
I should say that Gnome3 in linuxMint, or Cinnamon in LMDE cannot be functional desktops.
I use Compiz which is not supported in Gnome3 anymore. :( Maybe it's because of that I am addicted (!) to Gnome2 :lol:
so I choosed MATE in LMDE. I must say that MATE is an unsuccessful effort. It's buggy and definitely cannot be a choice for parsix4.

Thanks AmiNimA for your posts. I have also been doing some testing, Crunchbang and SolusOS. I think both are excellent for different reasons. Solus was launched a few days ago as an RC is now number 5 in Distrowatch (based on 7 day average)!! It is developed by Ikey Doherty - the guy who made Mint Debian & now does his own distro. The difference to Parsix is it's Debian Squeeze (but uses up to date packages via backports). Later it will be based on a tweaked Gnome 3 fallback. The success formula (for Solus) appears to be stability + current apps + community.

I've also looked at Snow Linux - debian stable + gnome 2, I didn't like it much, but it's 39 in Distrowatch & it's a fairly new distro.

I think Parsix is excellent, it's up there with the best in my opinion. I'd like to see more interaction in the Parsix forums, see more posts. I was thinking maybe there is more activity in the Persian forums but I've checked & it's not so. I even tried to understand some posts with google translate so I could but take part but it doesn't seem to work well with Persian. I'm not sure how we can achieve this or if people think this is as important as I do?

Alan - I'm looking forward to Parsix 4, thanks for your efforts.

Mandog - maybe you are right mate re Gnome 3, I've not really used it as you have, we'll see.

Regards, Jerry

PS AmiNimA: What did you thlink of Slitaz? I checked out the live CD, seems very nice, just a bit too geeky for me. I also tried Swift - based on Mint Debian + openbox, didn't like it much but it's early days for the project.
Regards, Jerry
jerry525

Postby AmiNimA » Thu May 10, 2012 7:35 am

chakra: just shift + delete and do not waste your time.
I'm downloading Deepin Linux (based on ubuntu).

Slitaz iso image is only 38 or 34 mb (i can't remember)!! it's really fast in every aspect (live mode, installation, boot, file managing...) it's simple and easy to use, but for those who have some experiences in linux. Slitaz has basic softwares. and you can install firefox, smplayer, gimp, java, openOffice, etc...
But I found Slitaz very immature. to make it work with your pc or laptop, you should do lots of configurations. and it takes a long time. but eventually it works smoothly.

Forget about persian forums. people here loves ubuntu! they don't know even why! Even most of them don't know there is a distro called Parsix!!!
Parsix should be universal. The website needs to be more attractive. Developers need to be more than just one person! I think Alan is working on parsix alone! I think it could be a good idea if alan invite developers around the world to participate in parsix project. distrowatch is a good place to announce such invitation.
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby AmiNimA » Thu May 10, 2012 11:11 am

Deepin is not bad, it seems it's good. but again it's gnome shell. I think I hate this Gnome :( you cannot satisfy your needs in gnome3, you cannot even right click on the panel, or have more panels. you cannot have compiz, instead, something called Muter has very basic compiz-like effects. vey basic! I mean very!
no no, I don't like it. :( People must be able to edit anything they want in a linux. I don't think gnome3 developers think like this. Definitley I would stick with gnome2, or even xFCE. :( I found KDE (in chakra) very stupid indead!
Alan is compiling gnome3 for parsix. I wish he wouldn't...
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby jerry525 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Parsix (at least with a Gnome sesktop) HAS to move to Gnome 3 if it stays with debian testing, (or use MATE). Even debian stable will have to move there too in 2013 I believe. Many people were critical of KDE when it first came out, it will get more features as time moves on I'm sure.

Currently I am playing with openbox with composting as I'm using Cairo dock.

The Persian forums I was referring to were the Parsix ones.
Regards, Jerry
jerry525

Postby AmiNimA » Thu May 31, 2012 7:26 pm

All I want to say about Gnome3 is in this review. It's totally my opinion about this disaster.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3.html

If Parsix 4 uses gnome3, DEFINITELY I wont use it.
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby mandog » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:51 pm

if you listen to that guy you will go insane he is a utter hut case that talks only Bull.
Parsix running AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, Gigabyte mother board 8gb ram, Nvidia graphic card 1gb unboard ram, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, 2x 500gb hds, sata+3x 500gb, 1x2tb Hardrives, 23" AOC monitor 1980X1080 Resolution
mandog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jerry525 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Solus (debian squeeze based) have released an alpha of an OS with Gnome 3 with a lookalike Gnome 2 interface - without using fallback mode!! Fallback will be discontinued anyway by Gnome developers.

I've just checked the live dvd & I cannot see it's even gnome 3 - but it is...

http://solusos.com/

It might be worth a look Alan as there are a number who would like such a possibility?
Regards, Jerry
jerry525

Postby alan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:25 am

I'm posting the latest project updates here:
https://www.facebook.com/parsix.gnu.linux

and here:
http://twitter.com/#!/parsixnews/
alan
Developer
Developer

Previous