Parsix 4 ideas

General discussion forum for Parsix GNU/Linux in English.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

Parsix 4 ideas

Postby AmiNimA » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:02 am

in this topic, please write about parsix 4. what do you think that parsix 4 must have, or must not have. what do you expect from parsix 4?

in my opinion:

1- I think in many cases, loading graphic card modules in a live distro is not necessary, since this modules can cause lots of problems that prevent a normal boot. so new linux users may be disapointed in the first expression of parsix. you can put the necessary packages in the var directory, so user can install them after he installed parsix.

2- Please change this old fashion installer! as I remember, from parsixs under version 1, this installer is used. Parsix 4 really needs a new look installer.

3- To reduce the image file, you can remove some unnecessary softwares. for example, from office suit, most of people only use presentation and writer. or Grisbi! a finance manager! how many people use a finance manager on their notebooks?! XMBC media center, Avidemux, or even GIMP, inkscape,... instead of GIMP and Inkscape you can use gnome paint, a simple software to do basic graphic jobs.

4- you can provide an iso with a name of i.e Parsix Plus which includes additional softwares such as GIMP, open office calc and etc...

5- as you included gstreamer libraries, why don't you add Totem? vlc is a little buggy and ugly, and it cannot work with Fn key on the notebooks. Totem is more simple and easier to use.

6- as parsix is a distro for persian users, please add Tahoma font to the font database. because almost all of the persian websites use Tahoma, and our eyes like Tahoma :)

7- I think, Parsix must be functional, instead of being uptodate. if Gnome3 is buggy, so don't use it in parsix4. or if some applets does not work with new dbus, so use older versions. Users want their system works, even if it's not uptodate.

8- plaese go back to pidgin :( empathy is very ... I don't know what to say... very... aah :(

9- do some work on cpu scaling. new cpus need a little configuration. you can make them in parsix4

10- touchpad!!! yes, enable tapping! by default mouse clicks are disable by touchpad.
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Re: Parsix 4 ideas

Postby jerry525 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Here are my thoughts/ comments:

I like Parsix the way it is in terms of applications - it is in any case so easy to install your favourite ones. The image size is ok.

Personally I have grown to like the installer - however it always comes under criticism from distro reviewers, I think it would be a good idea to use a more newbie friendly one, one reviewer suggested using the one from Pardus rather than spending time developing one.

My main concern is gnome 3, whilst I will give it a try there are a lot of people who are not happy with it. Perhaps Parsix should be looking at what Linux Mint is doing in terms of the gnome fork MATE?

Alan - you are doing a great job, however I was frustrated for you to see that there are ONLY 13 names on the list of people who have donated to $12 Parsix, that's just $156 since launch!! As a comparison Linux Mint had Donations of $6100 from 237 donors & $1423 from 135 sponsors... IN OCTOBER ALONE! So if we all want a nice distro and want to say what we want in it maybe let's put our hands in our pockets a bit more....
Regards, Jerry
jerry525

Postby alan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi Guys,

Keep going. I like to see your ideas.

As far as GNOME 3 concerns, Parsix 4.0 will use GNOME 3.2 but in fallback mode which is the good old GNOME 2.x

Donations, I got a big donation from a group of Persian users and waiting to get the full list.

Thanks!
Alan
alan
Developer
Developer

Postby seyed » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi all,
Please stop up-to-date and improve functionality of Parsix. Focus on UX is a good point. Other features and decision must be around it. Isn't it?

For example, please add a startup screen. It should be so stable and also should be uniform in size and shape (in any case).

Handle errors and don't show all types of errors to user (show some of it). Just logging and sending it on background.

A nice and unique boot menu. Please don't use same background for main Parsix background and boot menu.

Please start developing an unique media player with an unique and special UI.

Improve XFarDic and add it to Parsix (it must be compatible with Babylon's glossaries).

Improve installer program for a better UI and UX. Make installation process paralleled as far as possible.

Use Faenza icon theme.

Make support of VCD and DAT files if it is possible :P

Thank you guys!
seyed
Parsix Lover

Postby AmiNimA » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:32 am

I agree to a nice boot menu. not just a simple background.

Maybe stardict would be better instead of Xfardic.

VLC can play VCD and dat files individually, to play a VCD you must use VLC menus. and for playing dat files, right click > open with > add vlc

yesss, a boot screen must be provided in parsix4.
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby jerry525 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:12 pm

After seeing some recent youtube reviews of Linux Mint 12 with the new desktops - Gnome 3, Gnome 3 made to look like Gnome 2, & MATE (a fork of Gnome 2) I'm afraid that none of them look very good. Personally I would favour a KDE alternative for Parsix so people can choose...
Regards, Jerry
jerry525

Postby seyed » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Think for new Graphical Shell !! :idea:
seyed
Parsix Lover

Postby jerry525 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:58 pm

I just saw this youtube vid on PInguy OS - the developer has made a nice job of modifying Gnome 3 & I thought it might be of interest for Parsix. It looks a better job than Linux Mint anyway..
Checkout http://youtu.be/Yl3RLCechaA
Regards, Jerry
jerry525

Postby AmiNimA » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:09 pm

BURG is a bootloader based on GRUB. it sounds like cute! we could use it in Parsix4.
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Parsix 4, even faster boots

Postby AmiNimA » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:34 pm

I don't know what have you done to boot up parsix faster. I found this two articles to make a debian boot up faster. I think you can do some of these configurations to parsix 4.

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/629
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/620
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby alan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:09 pm

I did my first experiments and tweaks with GNOME 3.2, so far, I like it! We might not even need to use Cinammon! Give me another week or so and I will release a technology preview edition so you guys can play with it. :-D
alan
Developer
Developer

Postby AmiNimA » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Hip Hip Hurrraaaaaaay... :D
Dear Alan please tell us how to install another parsix beside the 3.7 we have installed yet. I don't want to loose a stable state whitch I already have.
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby jerry525 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:01 pm

I have to say I like Cinnamon but there are also some nice tweaked versions of Gnome 3 around. I just don't like all those mobile phone/ touch screen icons.. So if we can get it to a Gnome 2 look with some nice compiz like effects that would be nice.. :D
Regards, Jerry
jerry525

Postby AmiNimA » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:25 pm

I'd like to see a new installer and a splash screen :wink:
Alan, what are you going to name Parsix 4? My suggestions are Bahar (means spring in persian), Ordi (from Ordibehesht (the 2nd persian month in spring) ), as this version is comming out in spring.
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby jerry525 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:58 pm

AmiNimA wrote:Hip Hip Hurrraaaaaaay... :D
Dear Alan please tell us how to install another parsix beside the 3.7 we have installed yet. I don't want to loose a stable state whitch I already have.

I bought a cheap (80Gig) hard disc on eBay & installed it (makes life soo much easier). Or you could install on a separate partition?
Regards, Jerry
jerry525

Next

Return to General Discussions - English