How to install new GTK+ themes?

General discussion forum for Parsix GNU/Linux in English.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

How to install new GTK+ themes?

Postby teloce » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Hej guys,

maybe it sounds realy nooby for you, but how can I install new gtk themes? It doesn't where I've to get them, but I searched for some tool to install some but didn't found anything. I also searched the forum but didn't got results beside, that other people where capable of installing them.

Google said to use some "Appearance" tab in the desktop settings. But I didn't found them either....

I use the new release Gloria and havn't changed the system a lot (switched to german language).

Thx, for helping.
teloce

Re: How to install new GTK+ themes?

Postby alan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:45 pm

This is GNOME 3, so things are a bit different. You gotta use the "Advanced Settings" and you will see and option to upload a new Shell Theme there.
alan
Developer
Developer

Postby teloce » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:50 am

I tried that one:

Saved a shell theme from gnome-look.org (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=148398), which is ziped in tar.gz.

Opened adv settingpage and opened "theme". Here's a snapshot from my screen...

adv_settings.png
adv_settings.png (38.05 KiB) Viewed 16518 times

But if I want to add a new shell theme none of the tar.gz files is recognized, even if I unzip the files from the tar.gz.
teloce

Postby mandog » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 pm

The shell themes need to be in zip format
Gtk themes need to be unziped to /usr/share/themes. make sure the theme is compatible with gnome 3.4 the gnomish themes are very polished and work well
Parsix running AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, Gigabyte mother board 8gb ram, Nvidia graphic card 1gb unboard ram, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, 2x 500gb hds, sata+3x 500gb, 1x2tb Hardrives, 23" AOC monitor 1980X1080 Resolution
mandog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby teloce » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:29 am

Thx, I tried that once with some different themes and it didn't worked - I didn't checked compability.
The ones now are working fine. :)
teloce

Return to General Discussions - English