Install Virtualbox Guest Additions on Parsix 3.0r0-test-2???

User created HOW-TOs, guides and workarounds.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

Install Virtualbox Guest Additions on Parsix 3.0r0-test-2???

Postby dpeirce » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 pm

I've installed Parsix 3.0r0-test-2 in Virtualbox 2.2.4 (Antix M-8.2 host). All has gone well until now I'm trying to install the Virtualbox Guest Additions. The Guest Additions are located in /media/cdrom0. In a root terminal I cd to that directory and issue the command '# ./autorun.sh' - and I get the error message: 'bad interpreter: Permission denied'. I tried with '# ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run' and got the same error.

I've never run into this before. How do I install the Guest Additions?

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
dpeirce

Postby mandog » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:33 am

This is the command I always use this always works for me.

# sh VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
Parsix running AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, Gigabyte mother board 8gb ram, Nvidia graphic card 1gb unboard ram, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, 2x 500gb hds, sata+3x 500gb, 1x2tb Hardrives, 23" AOC monitor 1980X1080 Resolution
mandog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dpeirce » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:58 am

Thank you, mandog. Never used that before, but it got some activity. I'll keep it in mind as an alternative command. After I installed the gnu compiler (:^>), it said the GAs were installed. On reboot, it works fine, except.....

It boots into a Virtualbox window, but the Parsix screen is larger than the window so that I have to scroll around to see the whole screen.

At first, the copy/paste and cursor capture features worked but the window re-size didn't. Normally what I have to do then is to comment out all the 'modes' lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. However, Parsix must do things differently because xorg.conf was empty. I found another xorg.conf added by Parsix and copied that info over to xorg.conf. In addition to the normal 'modes' lines, there were a large number of 'modelines' lines too, and I commented all of them.

I could go back and uncomment the 'modelines' lines, and leave commented only the 'modes' lines, but thought maybe I'd better ask first.

Your help is appreciated.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
dpeirce

Postby mandog » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Writing this in vbox I just installed to see you problem this is what I did.
when I checked xorg it was empty so I copied and pasted the Parsix xorg into it, changed the vender name to vbox.
Driver "vesa"
VendorName "vbox"
BoardName "All"
Section "Screen"
I added the screen size that I want to use in my case 1600x1200.
Now when I start Parsix in Vbox its to big as its in a window so I click on
machine top left corner, click fullscreen viola I get native fullscreen. to change back point mouse to center bottom of screen
Parsix running AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, Gigabyte mother board 8gb ram, Nvidia graphic card 1gb unboard ram, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, 2x 500gb hds, sata+3x 500gb, 1x2tb Hardrives, 23" AOC monitor 1980X1080 Resolution
mandog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dpeirce » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:10 pm

OK, that worked partly. Now I have a window which is supposed to be 1400x1050 but actually is less than that in both directions. I noticed the clipboard share feature wasn't working so I reinstalled the Guest Additions. The clipboard share and automatic resize features won't install according to '$ ps auwxx | grep VB'. Only the seamless feature is listed.

???

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
dpeirce

Return to HOW-TOs - English