Intel - Nvidia (switchable graphics)

Discussions related to hardware issues, incompatibilities, drivers, etc.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

Intel - Nvidia (switchable graphics)

Postby bonoru » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:54 am

First of all, Hi to all members of the forum, My name is Rick and I'm new to the forum.

So, heres the deal...

I have a lenovo Ideapad Y470 with intel and Nvidia (NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M) switchable graphics, I've been trying really hard to put the Nvidia chip as default but i cant seem to do it, anyone has any idea on how to do it, every time i log in, i see that Parsix Loads Intel's chip by default, I know it has something to do with xorg files, but i cant find anything.
(I have followed all NvidiaHowTo with no troubles, its just that I cant mark the PCI device as primary)

any help will be appreciated TYVM.
bonoru

Re: Intel - Nvidia (switchable graphics)

Postby alan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Looks like this feature is not supported under Linux:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... 88184&st=0

It is Called optimus
alan
Developer
Developer

Postby bonoru » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:42 am

I've tried different Linux distribution and this is the first one that I'm having problems with, Xubuntu, Ubuntu 11.10, OpenSUSE (lastest), Fedora and even Debian, I'm going to keep trying to make it work here though, I like this distribution and hoping the best from it.

Thank you very much Alan
I'll be posting here my tests and results
bonoru

Postby AmiNimA » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:39 pm

I also have this Optimus technology in my eee 1215n. I could turn on/off nvidia graphic card, but as I don't do heavy graphic works on linux, I don't know if nvidia works in ON mode or not. but this is clear that nvidia turns on and off.
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Postby bonoru » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:34 am

I found out that Optimus technology on this specific laptop Y470/Y570 it's "special", after some days of research i got my Nvidia 550 gtm to work, unfortunately in using Ubuntu right now, but I've read the procedure also works on another linux distros heres the site, https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bb ... ack-lenovo , and this project, works along with Bumblebee http://bumblebee-project.org/ .

Good luck everybody.
bonoru

Postby AmiNimA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Yes, by Bumblebee project you can turn on/off Nvidia. BUT you cannot use this feature to watch HD movies (for example by "optirun totem") because the default is Intel. and YOU CANNOT set nvidia as the default card at the next boot. overall this Optimus technology is completely useless under linux. let's see what developers do in future...

Bumblebee works on almost every distribution. you can compile the source.
AmiNimA
Parsix Lover

Return to Hardware Issues - English