screen resolution problems

Discussions related to hardware issues, incompatibilities, drivers, etc.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

screen resolution problems

Postby lawmanuk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:23 am

I've been bugging alan a lot recently (bug 133) , so I thought i'd stop harassing him for a while.

I've been trying to get full screen resolution on my sony vaoi vgn-tx2xp, which is 1366x768.

at the moment i only get 1024x768, which leave a third of my screen along the right hand side completely black.

This is strange as i never have this problem with any other distro except parsix and sidux. everything else including debian lenny work fine straight away with a full wide screen.

if anyone is able to shed some light on this, it would really be great to work with a full parsix screen. history and more details are in bug 133.

thanks.
Last edited by lawmanuk on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawmanuk
Parsix Lover

RE: screen resolution (intel 915)

Postby xet7 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:48 pm

Do you mean any of these?

Fix resolution etc. messed up display settings
http://lauri.ojansivu.googlepages.com/p ... aySettings

Get 100Hz Refresh Rate To Monitor's 1024x786 Screenmode
http://lauri.ojansivu.googlepages.com/p ... Screenmode
xet7
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

RE: screen resolution (intel 915)

Postby lawmanuk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:04 am

no, these wouldn't work.

full details are in bug 133.
http://bugs.parsix.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=133

the screen is actually 1366x768, but the live cd and installation only allow 1024x768 so one third of my screen is black
lawmanuk
Parsix Lover

Postby lawmanuk » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:39 pm

the weirdest thing in the world just happened...

i couldn't find any solution to my screen resolution problem.

tried installing gentoo on a different logical partition. this trashed my parsix setup, as the logical drive numbers changed (messing up fstab/grub) etc.

i edited parsix fstab and got it up and running directly from gujin (still can't use grub on it).

for the weirdest reason known to man... parsix now recognises my 1366 display, and its perfect!!!

i'm just scared to touch the system now, cos if i have to reinstall parsix.. it will go back to normal :(

how weird is this!!! i expect a reply, confirming just what i'm missing here... but for now... who cares!!! :)
lawmanuk
Parsix Lover

Postby lawmanuk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:58 pm

how can i find out what has happened to my system, because the screen resolution works perfectly now in parsix.

i haven't done anything, but it just worked one day.

i'd like to be able to replicate this on other distros or parsix if i reinstall in the future, but at the moment, i'm at a loss as to what has happened to fix the problem.

let me know which files you need listings of to figure out this issue. a history of xorg.conf is attached in bug 133 under parsix bugs which shows before/after scenarios.

thanks
lawmanuk
Parsix Lover

Postby arash-m » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:38 am

have you ever try to let "NVIDIA XServer Setting" modify your x.org file?
as a root user, open:

Code: Select all
su
/usr/bin/nvidia-settings

from left menu select "X server Display Configuration". Then config your resolution from right side and press "save to x configuration file".
arash-m

Postby lawmanuk » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:02 am

my card isn't nvidia. it's intel 915, so i haven't touched the nvidia configuration.

:(
lawmanuk
Parsix Lover

Return to Hardware Issues - English