More hardware that works out of the box

Discussions related to hardware issues, incompatibilities, drivers, etc.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

More hardware that works out of the box

Postby eco2geek » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:53 am

Someone gave me an HP Pavilion ZD7000-series laptop (the previous owner dropped it and munged the hard drive, but not fatally).

The interesting thing is that, with Parsix BOSS installed, many (not all, but many) of the non-standard keys on the keyboard are recognized out of the box. The volume up/volume down/mute buttons work, as do the help, web browser, lock screen, brightness up, brightness down, and hibernate buttons. There's even an on-screen display for the volume buttons.

How'd that happen? :wink:
eco2geek

Postby mandog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:26 am

I think alan does a lot of testing on a laptop, as far as desktops go all buttons on my non standard multimedia keyboard work out of the box better than windows, Parsix is the only Distro that does this Alan really does try to make Parsix really compatible with everything good for you and me
Parsix running AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, Gigabyte mother board 8gb ram, Nvidia graphic card 1gb unboard ram, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, 2x 500gb hds, sata+3x 500gb, 1x2tb Hardrives, 23" AOC monitor 1980X1080 Resolution
mandog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby eco2geek » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:28 am

There is also a utility, KeyTouch, installable through Synaptic/apt-get, that will allow you to assign functions to your multimedia keyboard's buttons. It runs as a daemon.

If you're lucky, someone's already created a file for your keyboard model.

(I think Alan's doing a great job, too.)
eco2geek

Return to Hardware Issues - English