Vinnie mbr question

Discussions related to Parsix installations, installer program, etc.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

Vinnie mbr question

Postby willo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:28 am

First attempt to install Vinnie. I have 1 ide hard disk with winxp only on it. My second disk is a sata hd. Parted, as well as fdisk and bootitNG, recognize the sata disk as (hd1) and the ide as (hd0). I setup the install config to put grub2 on the mbr. It did but it shows the parsix install on sda1 instead of on sdb1. Apartently this destroyed my sata bios level driver utility and it hangs at boot. I have to disable the boot access of the sata drive in the bios to boot anything. So I lose the sata drive. If I reinstall, how can I be sure the grub2 is going to the correct disk?
willo

Postby mandog » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:09 am

You really need to supply more details of your system 1st is it a new or old comp did you have to fit a extra controller for the sata drive. ide drives set a master and slave sata all drives are master so when you mix them they can get confused. at what partition to boot
There are workarounds for this using labels on your partitions and uids for identification, or simply put both OS on the same disc. I use 2 sata and 2 ide so it can work but it is not easy to achieve, using the either disc for data is not a problem only boot to a OS.
Parsix running AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, Gigabyte mother board 8gb ram, Nvidia graphic card 1gb unboard ram, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, 2x 500gb hds, sata+3x 500gb, 1x2tb Hardrives, 23" AOC monitor 1980X1080 Resolution
mandog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby willo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. It's old. I have an Abit Av8 mobo with the Via VT8237 chip. It uses the the Via sata raid bios setting utility to detect sata drives and raid (even though I only have one sata drive). With the via 4 in 1 drivers, the mobo doesn't need an add-in card for sata. I re-installed the 4in1 drivers and at boot the ide and sata drives are both recognized.

At this point I boot from the Parsix live dvd. I'm replying now from that live boot. I can see my sata drive partitions from a root file browser and Parsix is installed on sda1. My winxp partition is shown as sdb1. If I start up Parted it shows these drives reversed in name, eg. winxp as sda1 and parsix as sdb1. Hence I'm not sure how to install grub2 to which mbr?

My system: Abit Av8 w Via VT8237, Amd 3500, 2GB ram, GeForce 7600 GT video with 512 MB ram (different problem). Win Xp sp3 on pri ide controller. Wish dual boot with grub2. Parsix 3.0 eventually installed corectly on same drives and grub2 dual booted ok. (see my Jan post) I also have usb 500 GB drive that is recognized by live dvd and installed Parsix.
willo

Postby mandog » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:42 pm

If you are not 100% sure unplug the drive with windows on.
Install grub for Parsix switch of reconnect the windows drive select the Parsix drive in bios its F8 on mine to manually boot a drive. when you have booted parsix in the terminal as root "os-prober" then as root "update-grub2" without the " that should put grub on the grub on the mbr of the Parsix drive you can then do things like remove the drive or parsix with out disturbing your windows mbr and vice verser.this is a full tutorial on grub2. http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html
Parsix running AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, Gigabyte mother board 8gb ram, Nvidia graphic card 1gb unboard ram, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, 2x 500gb hds, sata+3x 500gb, 1x2tb Hardrives, 23" AOC monitor 1980X1080 Resolution
mandog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby willo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:49 pm

Will give that a try. Thanks.
willo

Return to Installation - English