adding a new keyboard layout in Parsix 5r0

Discussions related to Parsix installations, installer program, etc.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

adding a new keyboard layout in Parsix 5r0

Postby nachaft » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:20 pm

How should I add a new keyboard layout in PARSIX 5r0? I ask this because when I try to add for example a persian layout than the english as its default, the window is closed quickly and nothing happpend there on the panel bar. Now I downgrade to 4.0r3 and wait for a patch or your solution.
nachaft

Re: adding a new keyboard layout in Parsix 5r0

Postby alan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:52 pm

You are going to need to add the layout from: Settings -> Region & Language -> Input Sources

I know its different from GNOME 2.x family. :D
alan
Developer
Developer

Postby nachaft » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks Alan for your kind reply. But I did the same! :wink:
I know the location is changed in new versions of Gnome but the problem is when I select a different language in the list, the window closes suddenly and the selected language is not applied by system.
nachaft

Re: adding a new keyboard layout in Parsix 5r0 and r1

Postby nachaft » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:43 am

In Parsix 5 r1 I tried again and it failed to add new keyboard layout.
from the command terminal one screen shot shows the error message:
http://www.4shared.com/download/NO0i3Fu-/Screenshot_from_2013-12-28_23_.png
Please consider that Parsix is running under the virtual box in above picture, but this is the same as happened when it was installed on a real system.
nachaft

Postby alan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:55 pm

The screen shot below is a live session or its installed? I suspect the el_null.utf8 errors. Did you try doing a dpkg-reconfigure locales to make sure that locale has been enabled?
alan
Developer
Developer

Postby nachaft » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:17 pm

The screen shot is from a live session of r1 in virtual box, but the same had happend in an installed session of r0 too.
Regarding the dpkg-reconfigure locale, yes. I tried in r0 according to instructions of two below links:
http://www.howtoforge.com/changing-language-and-keyboard-layout-on-various-linux-distributions
and
http://superuser.com/questions/646425/permanently-change-default-language-and-keyboard-settings-what-am-i-missing
As I remember I set the parameters for persian language (fa, IR), unfortunately couldn't reach a proper result.
Should I test it again in r1? Could you please tell me that what is the el_null.utf8 and where should it be set?
nachaft

Postby nachaft » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:53 am

I installed the Parsix 5r1 and this is the output of crashed control center:
Code: Select all
hpuser@parsix:~$ gnome-control-center

(gnome-control-center:6012): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_filename_display_basename: assertion `filename != NULL' failed

(gnome-control-center:6012): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_regex_replace: assertion `replacement != NULL' failed

(gnome-control-center:6012): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_filename_display_basename: assertion `filename != NULL' failed

(gnome-control-center:6012): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_regex_replace: assertion `replacement != NULL' failed

(gnome-control-center:6012): info-cc-panel-WARNING **: PackageKit version 0.7.6 not supported

(gnome-control-center:6012): GnomeDesktop-WARNING **: locale 'eo_(null).utf8' isn't valid

(gnome-control-center:6012): GnomeDesktop-WARNING **: locale 'eo_(null).utf8' isn't valid

(gnome-control-center:6012): GnomeDesktop-CRITICAL **: gnome_get_country_from_code: assertion `code != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault
hpuser@parsix:~$

Googled the "locale en_us(null).utf8 isn't valid" and think this is a bug has been reported in gnome 3.8:
Bug#692453: ibus 1.5.3-3 and gnome-control-center 1:3.8.3-2
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-gnome-maintainers/2013-August/102928.html
nachaft

Postby alan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks for tracking this down. I built ibus 1.5.4 for Lombardo and re-built gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-control-center using the new ibus. Please update your system and restart GNOME. Let me know if this resolves the problem. Trev should not be affected with this issue since it already has ibus 1.5.x. Thanks.
alan
Developer
Developer

Postby nachaft » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:56 am

Thanks Alan. The same error caused in crashing the control center again:
root@parsix:/home/hpuser# gnome-control-center

(gnome-control-center:2576): region-cc-panel-WARNING **: Failed to contact gnome-session: The connection is closed

(gnome-control-center:2576): GnomeDesktop-WARNING **: locale 'eo_(null).utf8' isn't valid

(gnome-control-center:2576): GnomeDesktop-WARNING **: locale 'eo_(null).utf8' isn't valid

(gnome-control-center:2576): GnomeDesktop-CRITICAL **: gnome_get_country_from_code: assertion `code != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault
root@parsix:/home/hpuser#
nachaft

Postby nachaft » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:21 am

nachaft wrote:Thanks Alan. The same error caused in crashing the control center again:
root@parsix:/home/hpuser# gnome-control-center

(gnome-control-center:2576): region-cc-panel-WARNING **: Failed to contact gnome-session: The connection is closed

(gnome-control-center:2576): GnomeDesktop-CRITICAL **: gnome_get_country_from_code: assertion `code != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault
root@parsix:/home/hpuser#

Any other solution?
nachaft

Postby alan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:41 am

I just noticed something, why are you trying to run the gnome-control-center as root?
alan
Developer
Developer

keyboard layout in Parsix 5r1, gnome-control-center as root

Postby nachaft » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 pm

alan wrote:I just noticed something, why are you trying to run the gnome-control-center as root?

It was done without any plan :)
please see the below one that is in user:
http://forums.parsix.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1542#p7366 8)
nachaft

Postby alan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:07 am

OK, but did you try running it using your regular user after making recent updates?
alan
Developer
Developer

Postby nachaft » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:00 am

alan wrote:OK, but did you try running it using your regular user after making recent updates?

Yes, of course. The output is the same:
hpuser@parsix:~$ gnome-control-center

(gnome-control-center:2707): GnomeDesktop-WARNING **: locale 'eo_(null).utf8' isn't valid

(gnome-control-center:2707): GnomeDesktop-WARNING **: locale 'eo_(null).utf8' isn't valid

(gnome-control-center:2707): GnomeDesktop-CRITICAL **: gnome_get_country_from_code: assertion `code != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault
hpuser@parsix:~$

Anyway I'm using the setxkbmap us and setxkbmap ir to change the keyboard layout, till a solution could be applied. :wink:
Isn't there any other report of this problem by Parsix users?!
nachaft

Postby alan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:30 pm

No, I myself even couldn't replicate the issue. Mine adds on just fine.

Try this see if it will work for you:

1) Run dconf-editor
2) Go to org -> gnome -> desktop -> input-sources
3) Change the "sources" entry to have a value such as "[('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'ir')]" for En/Fa combination
4) Close the editor and log-off / log-back-in or reboot.

Let me know if that works. Please disable your current setxkbmap workaround prior to applying changes.
alan
Developer
Developer

Next

Return to Installation - English