live cd boot to installed parsix

Discussions related to Parsix installations, installer program, etc.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

Postby willo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:03 pm

I installed 3.0r1 to my second hd, a sata disk, to /dev/sdb1. This is where / is installed. I have a second /home directory. I can see these from the live cd, and the boot files for grub2 are in the /boot folder. I use BootIt NG as my boot manager. I have BootItNG set up properly. Why can't it find Grub2? It has passed on the boot process to many linux distros. My question is: Can I boot to my installed Parsix from the live cd? If not, how can I boot it?
willo

Re: live cd boot to installed parsix

Postby BakUp » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi willo

I don't think BootIt NG would be supported here. Why didn't you use the Parsix Grub2 bootloader ? That would be my suggestion.

chears,
BakUp
BakUp

RE: Re: live cd boot to installed parsix

Postby willo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:42 pm

I never had a problem for the last 8 years with it till now with grub2. Until recently I've been mostly windos with a deb64 lenny install. I very well may switch to grub2 after I figure it out. Right now I can't boot into my Parsix install. I'm on another pc trying to manually boot Parsix from the live cd and haven't figured it out. Any help will be appreciated.
willo

Postby mandog » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:13 am

Grub2 has moved the goalposts and boot managers have not caught up yet, Nor has a decent gui for it its a shame they did not work together as grub2 has been around for a while. you can down grade to the old grub I have not done this on parsix as I never upraded to grub2 but I have downgraded with Arch and it was pretty painless.
Parsix running AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, Gigabyte mother board 8gb ram, Nvidia graphic card 1gb unboard ram, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, 2x 500gb hds, sata+3x 500gb, 1x2tb Hardrives, 23" AOC monitor 1980X1080 Resolution
mandog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: RE: Re: live cd boot to installed parsix

Postby BakUp » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:17 pm

willo wrote: I'm on another pc trying to manually boot Parsix from the live cd and haven't figured it out. Any help will be appreciated.

If you are wondering if you can use the Parsix Live CD to boot up the Parsix you have installed on your HD, I believe the answer would be NO !

Seeing you have just recently installed Parisix, you may not have spent a lot of time in setting it up. I would just do a reinstall and install Parsix 3.0 or the new test release to the MBR and use Parsix's grub2 bootloader.....you won't be disappointed.

Then do some reading on grub2, there is a learning curve if you ever wish to update it. Send me a PM and I can provide you info that can help you learn grub2. Also search the Parsix forums, there are some threads here also that may help you.

I hope we can help you getting Parsix to work the way you want it to.
good luck,
BakUp
BakUp

Postby willo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:12 am

Thanks for the replies, been gone a few days. I used the knoppix live cd to access my Parsix installation and copied the working xorg.conf file and that gave me a gui. I will end this thread because I developed some other issues that deserve a new thread. Thanks, willo
willo

Return to Installation - English