Network Manager configuration

Discussions related to networking, wired and wireless networks, etc.

Moderators: aysabzevar, mandog, alan, bkashaf, xet7, cmost, blix

Network Manager configuration

Postby lawmanuk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:18 am

I've been trying to get the nm-applet on my panel, which debian lenny already has on its panel. Just gives more feedback with wifi networks.

Alan suggested

apt-get update && apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome

This has installed system-network manager editor, but not the nm-applet which i was seeking.

any further advice available pls?
Last edited by lawmanuk on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawmanuk
Parsix Lover

RE: nm-applet

Postby grasshopper » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Is netapplet what you are looking for?
grasshopper

Postby cmost » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:10 pm

He's looking for Network Manager, the same applent used in Fedora and Ubuntu for managing wired and wireless networks. Alan has mentioned in the past that he prefers WiFi radar and I think he'll probably include it in an upcoming release. More information can be found here:

http://wifi-radar.systemimager.org/
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition Hexa-Core
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Linux Mint Debian Edition 64 Bit
Parsix (Debian Testing) GNU/Linux 64 Bit
Liquorix Kernel 3.12.x
cmost
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lawmanuk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:30 pm

i see the name nm-applet when hovering over it in debian lenny. it looks the same as the ubuntu icon.

if wifi radar is better for whatever reason, thats fine too.

couldn't install nm-applet thats supposed to come with network manager. maybe i'll give wifi radar a try.
lawmanuk
Parsix Lover

Postby lawmanuk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:01 pm

installed wifi radar, but it doesn't have an icon in the panel like nm-applet. anyone know how to install nm-applet pls?
lawmanuk
Parsix Lover

Postby cmost » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:08 pm

I have to agree, Network Manager is a handy little applet once you get used to it. On the other hand, the Parsix network configuration utility is a peach too (works every time!!) If you want to use Network Manager in Parsix, there's a bit of a trick to installing it but should work well if you follow the instructions. Here's how:

1. Open Synaptic Package manager and search for key words "Network Manager". Once you locate it, right-click and select for installation. Synaptic should prompt you for dependency packages. Install all required packages.

2. After installation is complete and before you do anything else, open up gnome-terminal and enter the following commands as root (Note: type "su" fallowed by your root password to gain root privileges in the gnome-terminal - Parsix does not use sudo by default. Also Note: the "#" symbols below indicate the commands should be typed at a root prompt - do not add this symbol when typing the commands!)

#update-rc.d -f network-manager defaults
#update-rc.d -f network-manager-dispatcher defaults
#update-rc.d -f dhcdbd defaults

3. Reboot the computer. After rebooting, you should find that the nm-applet has started and is sitting in the system tray. If it isn't, you can start it manually by typing ALT+F2 and entering nm-applet in the run dialog box. To make it start permanently, goto System --> Preferences --> Sessions and create a new entry with the command: "nm-applet --sm-disable" (w/o quotes)

Enjoy! :-)

P.S. A quick forum search would have revealed the above details on how to install Network Manager. Just giving you a heads up to try searching for your solution before posting.
cmost
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby xet7 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:48 pm

cmost:
Thanks! :) I have added it to the wiki:

Update Parsix to latest versions, install needed software, etc => Install nm-applet if you'd like to use control WLAN networks
http://www.parsix.org/html/index.php?mo ... g=HowTosEn
xet7
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lawmanuk » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:17 pm

hi,

this doesn't seem to work with multiple user accounts. the applet only shows for the original user.

for subsquent users, the applet doesn't show and they can't configure via system/network unless they turn roaming off.

help.
lawmanuk
Parsix Lover

Re: RE: nm-applet

Postby Alexandre1545 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:30 pm

cmost wrote:I have to agree, Network Manager is a handy little applet once you get used to it. On the other hand, the Parsix network configuration utility is a peach too (works every time!!) If you want to use Network Manager in Parsix, there's a bit of a trick to installing it but should work well if you follow the instructions. Here's how:

1. Open Synaptic Package manager and search for key words "Network Manager". Once you locate it, right-click and select for installation. Synaptic should prompt you for dependency packages. Install all required packages.

2. After installation is complete and before you do anything else, open up gnome-terminal and enter the following commands as root (Note: type "su" fallowed by your root password to gain root privileges in the gnome-terminal - Parsix does not use sudo by default. Also Note: the "#" symbols below indicate the commands should be typed at a root prompt - do not add this symbol when typing the commands!)

#update-rc.d -f network-manager defaults
#update-rc.d -f network-manager-dispatcher defaults
#update-rc.d -f dhcdbd defaults

3. Reboot the computer. After rebooting, you should find that the nm-applet has started and is sitting in the system tray. If it isn't, you can start it manually by typing ALT+F2 and entering nm-applet in the run dialog box. To make it start permanently, goto System --> Preferences --> Sessions and create a new entry with the command: "nm-applet --sm-disable" (w/o quotes)

Enjoy! :-)

P.S. A quick forum search would have revealed the above details on how to install Network Manager. Just giving you a heads up to try searching for your solution before posting.

I do this, i have the nm-applet in my task bar, but i doesn,t have wireless network i just have wired network and connect to 802.1x Protected wired Networking but i would to connect to a Wireless Network
Alexandre1545

Postby Alexandre1545 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:00 pm

II Uninstall Network-Manager and I remplace it by Wifi-Radar, the Wireless Network is detected, but is not able to decteted the IP Adress.
Alexandre1545

Return to Networking - English